Largely driven by the rise in popularity of the flexitarian lifestyle over the past few years, the plant-based category has seen huge innovation and growth. With animal agriculture’s present impact on the environment, welfare and ethics, the plant-based category’s potential is too good to miss, for people and planet.
We’re here to help people and businesses pushing the boundaries in this selector, to help them communicate their visions in the most effective ways. The more people that realise the benefits of plant-based, the healthier a future we will all have to enjoy.
Last year, we produced an in-depth analysis of the plant-based market. Our report, The Future is Plant, is a detailed look at innovation, trends, consumer desires and of course, some tips and ideas to get brands started. Here, we’re going to take a quick look through some of the stand-out stats that are sure to whet the appetite of brands interested in this sector.
- The global plant-based food market is worth $74.2 billion
- In the past two years sales of meat alternatives grew by 38%
- The UK Veganuary 2021 campaign attracted over 600,000 pledges
- In Europe, over 40% of consumers have reduced their meat intake
- Animal agriculture is responsible for 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions
- On average, vegan meals are 40% cheaper than meat or fish options
- Deliveroo found that plant-based orders went up 163% last year
- Flexitarian consumers now make up 42% of the global market
The full The Future is Plant report can be downloaded for free and get your teeth into the endless opportunities within this market. We hope it’s an interesting read, whether you have an existing project, or something that you’re keen to get moving. If at the end you’re still buzzing with questions or new ideas, please reach out and let us guide your plant-based projects.
- https://plantbasednews.org/news/plant-based- food-market-worth-74-billion-by-2027/
- https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/16/us/plant-based- meat-has-roots-in-the-1970s.html
- https://www.thegrocer. co.uk/consumer-trends/lockdown-anniversary- how-has-covid-changed-uk-eating-and- shopping-habits/654335.article
- https://www.beuc.eu/publications/ beuc-x-2020-042_consumers_and_the_ transition_to_sustainable_food.pdf
- https://www.peta. org.uk/blog/earth-day-2021-reasons-vegan/
- https://www. foodnavigator.com/Article/2020/12/18/Vegan- meals-cheaper-and-quicker-than-meat-or-fish
- https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/ Article/2021/01/07/Plant-power-plant-based- vegan-online-food-orders-up-163
- https://www.greenqueen. com.hk/42-of-global-consumers-are- flexitarians-driving-mainstream-plant-based- shift-new-report-says/